This winter has given us the usual foggy conditions, icy roads and even a little snowfall (depending on where in the country you are). Even though it does seem to be getting a little warmer out there, we suggest taking extra care.
So we have put together a list of simple safety tips to help you reduce your risk and keep safe this winter.
1. Only drive if necessary. If you think it may be too risky to drive in treacherous conditions, then the best way to reduce that risk is to not drive at all.
2. Plan your journey. Listen out for weather updates, and consider routes that are easier to navigate in bad weather and are suitable to stop on in case of a breakdown. Consider leaving extra time to travel if necessary.
3. Choose a familiar route. In the event that you breakdown, you will need to inform emergency services or breakdown recovery of your location.
4. Ensure that your windows, lights and number plates are clear of any ice or snow before setting off.
5. Take essential items with you, such as a shovel, fully charged mobile phone, a phone charger, torch, ice scraper, de-icer, food, water, jump leads, first aid kit, and warm clothes.
6. Ensure that you have adequate screen wash. Some screen wash doesn’t work below certain temperatures, so make sure you have the correct screen wash for the conditions.
7. Drive carefully. Keep speed down, drive in high gears to avoid the wheels spinning, and leave plenty of room between yourself and the vehicle in front of you, should you need to brake suddenly.
8. Don’t drive when tired, and plan breaks into your journey. Driving in bad conditions is tiring, and driving while tired is dangerous.
9. Get a winter check up on your vehicle. Your local garage should be able to provide this, and will ensure that your vehicle is properly prepared for the winter conditions.
Bear in mind that newer vehicles have all the latest safety features and electronic driving aides, which are more likely to keep you safe on the roads in bad winter conditions.
Just Vehicle Solutions offer short term lease and hire contracts on brand new vehicles, from compact city cars, medium sized vehicles, SUV’s and commercial vans and pick-ups, with many vehicles in stock and ready to go. Get in touch today to see how we can help.